Sunday, August 28, 2011

Signs, signs, everywhere signs....


“Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live!” - Bob Marley

If the title reminds you of a song, you would be be on the right track. Last week I started having ideas about paying attention to "signs", and the song came into my head luckily b/c it kept begging me to remember to write this post. The weekend came and more readings and teachings ensured that I would indeed display my thoughts.
When I say signs, I mean the kind of signs that point us in the direction of where we are going in our lives - for better or for worse. I don't even mean superstitious signs like black cats, but intuitive signs. The above quote was something I found in my current "quoting Bob" kick, but it rang so true to my current thoughts. There are many times when we confront a situation and ignore something inside that tells us an answer that is oppositional to how we want to react and we act accordingly. It is only later that we realize that the inner "gut" feeling was actually correct. Obviously, this is not true all of the time, but it happens frequently enough to have me pondering.
Many people become trapped in this type of thinking though, myself included. So I guess a question to ask is, "How do I apply this information?" Instead of always looking back and seeing the mistakes, how do I implement or utilize this inherent sage? Two things comes to mind: living in the present moment and looking for the positive. These are the two teachings I take away from the past two weeks. I have to open myself up to not letting past mistakes or too much worry for the future rule current judgement calls. I have to see the good in the situation at that moment, not be blinded by suspect motivations, and not let the negative consume all traces of positivity. We have to do the best we can with the good we are given at that moment since there is no guarantee of tomorrow.
The signs are always there, sometimes I miss them and I have to go back or take the next exit, but maybe next time I'll pay attention to the TomTom.

1 comment:

  1. The sign in the photo is so funny....do you think it is supposed to be a joke? Like...let the church help kill you?

    Anyway, I so know what you're saying...I am a big believer in following signs. Sometimes, though, when my mind is clouded with worry, it is harder to notice the signs or I question them. One thing I have sort of come to believe recently is that so many decisions that we worry over are not really worth the energy we put into them. It's about our own inner consistency or core values or working on ourselves or whatever you want to call it. Most external choices don't affect things that much. Do I choose to live in California or Florida? Whatever....No matter where you go, there you are. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete